With the nasty bug going around, this is a must do. If you don’t like garlic it may be hard to swallow but otherwise, it is quite tasty and will help to keep the cold at bay. This recipe is from The Endless Meal.
Juice from 1 lemon
11/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger root
1 tsp grated fresh turmeric root
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 small garlic clove, grated with microplane
1 bag of green tea (optional)
1 tsp honey
Place all the ingredients into a mug and fill with nearly boiling water. Let the tea steep for 2-3 minutes then remover the bag and sip away. Keep your spoon handy and stir before each sip to mix up the ingredients.
A great trick is to keep both the ginger and turmeric root in your freezer until needed. It will keep it from going limp and also make it easier to grate.
Here’s to your health!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 Tbs. coconut oil
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 1 (14 oz) can marinated quartered artichokes hearts, drained, liquid reserved
- 3 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup white wine
- 1Tbs. capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown chicken in oil and butter for 5-7 minutes per side; remove from skillet, and set aside.
- Place artichoke hearts and mushrooms in skillet (add more butter if too dry) and saute until mushrooms are brown and tender. Return chicken to skillet, pour in reserved artichoke liquid and wine. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Stir in capers and simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Serve over rice or with another side.
Ingredients (for the sauce)
- ¾ cup toasted sesame oil
- ½ cup tamari
- 3 Tbs rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 3 Tbs sugar
- 2-3 Tbs fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 clove of garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 scant teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ cup peanut butter
- ¾ lbs. whole wheat spaghetti (break in half as you add to boiling water)
- Edamame or carrot sticks to garnish
- Bring 3-4 quarts of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 12 minutes. (capture and save some of the pasta water to use for thinning sauce if too thick)
- Drain noodles
- Combine all sauce ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Add noodles to sauce and combine well.
- Top with edamame or carrot slices and serve
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 2 or 3 carrots
- ½- ¾ cups of vegannaise
- 1 Tbs of lemon juice
- 3 Tbs of nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup of dried cranberries
Cut broccoli florets into small pieces. You can also cut up the stems after removing the hard outer part. Shred the carrots. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, voila!